Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jan. 7th Hospital Update

A lot of things have happened since the last blog post. I wish I had the ability to make everyone understand fully just how much pain and horror Tanya has gone through, even though you'd never know by speaking to her. Tanya wants to make you smile, not cry, and most people will laugh and joke with her without ever having any idea how much agony she's in, but when you leave the room, she'll say "I need my pain medicine, I can't stand it anymore."

I'll just do my best to describe these latest nightmares, and start where I left off. As I mentioned before, the sinus "roto-rooter" surgery was a simple procedure. After the surgery the doctor came out and told us that she "did good" and that he cleared out a lot of junk from her sinuses. She had to stay in recovery until her blood pressure went down some, and they told us that the severe headache and bleeding from her nose was normal and should stop in a day or two. She was saturating a gauze sponge with blood from her nose every fifteen minutes for the first couple hours. Her cheeks were getting raw from having the gauze tape peeled off over and over again. Over the course of the day the bleeding finally slowed down, and we were able to watch the New Year's fireworks out her hospital window without a single gauze change. The next day continued much the same, still having enough bleeding to necessitate gauze but not enough to be considered "not normal," and the next day, finally, the gauze came off altogether. We thought she was pretty much over this "simple procedure." Then on Sunday night she started bleeding again, this time PROFUSELY. Do you think that having blood pour out of your nose is a scary thing? Tanya had blood flowing freely from her nose, down the back of her throat and out her mouth, and out her right eye. She filled up three puke basins with blood soaked sponges and tissues, and was still going. This was the point where the bleeding had finally crossed the line and had become "not normal," and her nurse and doctor were pretty much freaked out. So on Monday morning she went back downstairs for another surgery, the seventh one in the last six months. The doctor did a little cauterizing and sprayed some medicine and left a pack in her sinus, but was still pretty much baffled as to why she was still bleeding. He came out after the surgery and told me "she did good" again, and to let him know if the bleeding kept up.

I'm going to finish this tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that she has to put on a happy face for people, I know the feeling. I hope to goodness that this story ends better than it started. I'm always thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete