Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Good and Bad news

Yesterday I went to my lung transplant doctors. We were at the hospital for 11 hours!!! Some of that was due to bad coordination and the nurse screwing up. I had a CT Scan done for the abscess and they made me drink the contrast which was nasty of course. I've never drank it for a CT, usually they do that IV but I guess since I was already doing so much IV, they didn't want it done that way. Well, by me drinnking all that, I had to wait almost 2 more hours to get the bronch b/c I'm not supposed to have anything in my belly when they do that so there's no chance of throwing up and it going into your lungs. The good news is that the Abscess has shrunk!!!!!!! I had a feeling it had b/c it hadn't been hurting me as bad the last few days. So it seems like the IV antibiotics are working!! Doctor said I'll be on them at least another 2 weeks, which I expected anyway.
Bad news is that I have an infection and the fungus, Thrush, in my lungs. So I did an IV of an antifungal while I was there and I have to make sure the swish and swallow my medication called Nystatin 4 times a day......most importantly after I eat. Blah! We are waiting for sensitivity testing to find out what can be used to treat the infection. Hopefully it's gonna be what I'm on. Sucks that it seems I can never be without infection. I hope one day I can be infection free b/c I can't keep doing IV's my whole life.
Well, Monday was my 6 month transplant anniversary! That means I get to stop taking my anti-viral pill every day. That's gonna be nice, unless I catch a virus. I have to say once again that I am so happy that I'm not stuck in the hospital doing all this! Hopefully I'll be better by the time my cousin comes down from Ohio and visits and later on my friends and Aunt. I wanna get out and have some fun! So I guess I'm also hoping for it to warm up a little too.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the absess shrinking! Hope the thrush goes away, feel free to e-mail me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanya! Can't believe it has been six months since your surgery! Glad to hear that you've been able to be at home for the past several weeks. Keep hanging in there sweetie! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love,
    Nichole Brink

    ReplyDelete